Wednesday, April 1, 2015

My Signature


Jackie O. had her over-sized sunglasses.  For Billie Holiday, a cascade of white gardenias tucked into the left side of her hair.  Lots of people have their own unique fashion ID or signature, if you will; their own personal stamp on style forged from their fashion sensibilities and/or creative inclinations.  I, myself, don't really claim to have a signature look per se; I'd like to think my tastes are far too eclectic (and sometimes manic) to be sated by a routine roster of items and/or looks.  While I will admit that I tend to round up the usual suspects when it comes to certain articles of clothing, it's in the styling of my accessories where I most often tend to leave my mark...  


If there's anything that has been absolutely consistent in my appearance over the last several years, it's got to be my hair.  More specifically, my bangs (or fringe).  Time and time again I have threatened to grow them out and trade in my hairstyle for something new... but I never do.  At least not as of yet.  My full, over-the-brow bangs have definitely become my one true signature; borne out of curiosity and boredom, they have served me quite well.  I like the way they look on me and, despite my railings to the contrary, am kinda reluctant to let them go.


OK, this should come as no surprise.  I like jeans.  A whole lot.  On any given casual weekday, and especially during weekends, you will find my derriĆ©re (and hips and legs...) awash in the cottony goodness.  What can I say that hasn't already been said about them?  They're the perfect article of clothing.  You can dress them up or dress them down, they come in a boat load of colors and styles... *sigh*  They're magical.  And I love them.  Yes, I heart them mucho...


Ahhh... sneakers.  So comfy.  So easy.  So me.  I have a deep, impenetrable love/love relationship with the rubber soled footwear.  Even though I have rebuked many of my tomboyish ways and have steadily infused my collection of foot candy with those of a loftier nature, if I had to choose between wearing a pair of sneakers all day versus a pair of heels - sneakers would win out every time.  Yep, they are the no-brainer fashion go-to I rock most often.


Now, when it comes to jewelry, I like to keep it understated.  I usually wear simple studs in my ears, a simple necklace, watch... etc.  However, I do like a little whimsy, too.  And this is where my signature style comes into play; I like to wear customized pieces that I make myself.  I've been doing it since I was a wee one, painting characters on T-shirts... wearing colored Chinese jacks on my ears as earrings.  I can't help it.  It's the restless creative in me.  Y'all know that I love to re-purpose and reconstruct.  When I bought this two-strand, wood bead bracelet from a discount department store, "Rescue 911" was written all over it.  So I doctored up the plain Jane and added a playful charm to it.




For this piece, I took a pair of broken earrings, a cushioned silk string and an articulated, silver coy charm that I bought when I was in middle school (yikes!) and made a choker.




And, man, do I have plans for this one!  It's a tiger's eye and turquoise medallion set in sterling silver and it is gorgeous!  I bought it years ago off of eBay, but have yet to procure all the suitable pieces to make this baby really purr.  But I'm plotting... and thinking.  It would be really dope as some type of statement ring even though it's already been designated by design to go around the neck.  Hmm... we shall see.

So there you have it.  Again, outside of my hairstyle, I don't really have a definitive style/color/accessory that can honestly lay claim to me.  Oh, I've flirted with the idea of having coral pink lipstick be my signature shade and just rockin' that on a daily, but I can't.  I like too much stuff.  I like the excitement that comes with variety, you know?  And although I don't necessarily have a signature look, I will say that I pride myself on creating and rockin' signature pieces.  I love being eclectic and wearing unique articles of my own design.  It's my low-key fashion ID... my very own "John Hancock" approach to style.         

No comments:

Post a Comment